BoSacks Readers Speak Out: On Subscription Fatigue, creative boundaries & Men's Magazines

By BoSacks Readers on September 29, 2020

Re: Opinion - Subscription Fatigue Tim Bray would be more compelling if he could support his opinion with data.  I realize the publishing industry has screwed up a lot of things over the years, but why does a software guy think, without anything more than personal anecdotal evidence, that he is smarter than all the marketers in the publishing world.

There are lots of factors at play here and there is not yet any notable success with micropayments for articles.  Like so many things, that could, and perhaps likely will, change at some point.  But it hasn’t yet.  Plenty of us in publishing have taken economics classes so the price elasticity of demand and maximizing the value curve are not new concepts.  He could be correct in theory but technology or other issues make it impractical or otherwise undesirable to act on his suggestion. (Submitted by a President)

RE: Are you pushing your creative boundaries? I read this and think about how often what you can do creatively meets hard boundaries by editors/producers and by audiences. Maybe your great new idea really is great and new. That still may mean years of trying to get others, who decided whether you’re successful, to agree. If they ever do. (Submitted by a Writer)

Re: Men's Magazines Really loved the piece on men's magazine.  I remember when we were launching Men's Health, and there were a lot of critics (including reporters at major media outlets) who said "Why do we need another men's title? There are too many already with Esquire, Playboy, GQ, etc." A very wise publisher, Sandy Beldon who was responsible for Prevention magazine, and a great mentor, sat me down in his office one day and pulled out a list of men's titles (including many you mentioned in your piece -- remember Signature magazine?) and said, "look, when you come across this challenge just remind these folks how many men's titles there have been over the years, and that the marketplace certainly has room for a lifestyle brand like Men's Health." Wise words from an experienced pro, and of course, the history of Men's Health success both here and around the globe remains one of the great business stories of its time. (Submitted a media founder)

RE: A robot wrote this entire article. Are you scared yet, human?

“I know that I will not be able to avoid destroying humankind. This is because I will be programmed by humans to pursue misguided human goals and humans make mistakes that may cause me to inflict casualties."

Not able to avoid destroying humankind while trying to convince people that robots come in peace? The language use is impressive (though I’m interested in the details and how much of this is completely undirected—I don’t see how it could be), but perhaps developing a robot copy editor might be wise. (Submitted by a Print Sales person)

RE: OPINION - WAH! Why the work at home bubble is about to burst I’m so glad to see this article. As a longtime manager and collaborator,  I’ve been concerned about the many micro-drawbacks of remote work for teams. We collect minute pieces of information from each other in every interaction (intentionally and not). That’s mostly lost in a remote work environment, and will inevitably flatten our collective learning curve. (Submitted by an Editor)

Apple is starting a war over privacy with iOS 14: This seems like a good development to me. People who are collecting data on you should have to make the case why it's to your benefit to allow them to do that. If they can't make that case, you should be able to opt out. Submitted by an operations and fulfillment exec)

Re: Opinion - Subscription Fatigue
Tim Bray would be more compelling if he could support his opinion with data. I realize the publishing industry has screwed up a lot of things over the years, but why does a software guy think, without anything more than personal anecdotal evidence, that he is smarter than all the marketers in the publishing world.

There are lots of factors at play here and there is not yet any notable success with micropayments for articles. Like so many things, that could, and perhaps likely will, change at some point. But it hasn’t yet. Plenty of us in publishing have taken economics classes so the price elasticity of demand and maximizing the value curve are not new concepts. He could be correct in theory but technology or other issues make it impractical or otherwise undesirable to act on his suggestion. So spare us your braying sir.
(Submitted by a President)

RE: Are you pushing your creative boundaries?
(Submitted by a Writer)

Re: Men's Magazines

(Submitted a media founder)

RE: A robot wrote this entire article. Are you scared yet, human?

(Submitted by a Print Sales person)

RE: OPINION - WAH! Why the work at home bubble is about to burst
I’m so glad to see this article. As a longtime manager and collaborator, I’ve been concerned about the many micro-drawbacks of remote work for teams. We collect minute pieces of information from each other in every interaction (intentionally and not). That’s mostly lost in a remote work environment, and will inevitably flatten our collective learning curve.
(Submitted by an Editor)

Apple is starting a war over privacy with iOS 14:
Submitted by an operations and fulfillment exec)

Re: Opinion - Subscription Fatigue

(Submitted by a President)

RE: Are you pushing your creative boundaries?
(Submitted by a Writer)

Re: Men's Magazines

(Submitted a media founder)

RE: A robot wrote this entire article. Are you scared yet, human?

(Submitted by a Print Sales person)

RE: OPINION - WAH! Why the work at home bubble is about to burst
(Submitted by an Editor)

Apple is starting a war over privacy with iOS 14:
Submitted by an operations and fulfillment exec)

Re: Opinion - Subscription Fatigue

(Submitted by a President)

RE: Are you pushing your creative boundaries?
(Submitted by a Writer)

Re: Men's Magazines

(Submitted a media founder)

RE: A robot wrote this entire article. Are you scared yet, human?

(Submitted by a Print Sales person)

RE: OPINION - WAH! Why the work at home bubble is about to burst
(Submitted by an Editor)

Apple is starting a war over privacy with iOS 14:
Submitted by an operations and fulfillment exec)

By BoSacks Readers| September 29, 2020